Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Honduras: Retreat time and "Is it safe to be here?"

So, on Thursday night we were told to pack only one bag, and it had to be a small one, for the retreat at the Marriot Hotel. We were going to be spending 2 nights there. So after packing and repacking 2 days worth of tolietries and clothing selections into my backpack we learned Friday morning that all of our luggage was going to be delivered to the hotel anyway. What? We arrived at the Hotel around 4 that afternoon and checked in. Brett, Judy, Terry and Margaret, Jenny, Val and Brian and I went to eat at El Corral for supper. Let me say this...we all ate like we were never going to eat again..it was good eating.
That night I was laying in bed writing in my journal and I happened to look out the window at the City skyline. It looked so pretty..like any other city skyline..it could have been Memphis or Denver.Then it occured to me...that is how Satan traps us...he makes things look pretty and we forget about all the bad stuff. The skyline look like anyother skyline, except what I forgot was behind it was hunger and poverty, disease and pain. I hope that I never forget.
On Saturday morning the guys and Sarasota Katie H. played the COBRAs in soccer. We WON again. 6-5. Go us.
After the game we went to a hospital where Michelle read about a boy who had a stroke 7 yrs before during surgery. We went just to visit and found out that he had tore something in his knee while playing soccer. During surgery he had a stroke, and their might have been some negligence on the part of the Dr's. The sight of him laying there tore my heart out and Judy and I could not get him out of our minds for the rest of day. So....we went on an adventure. Judy and I, along with Brett and Haus, as translator, we set out for the return trip to the hospital, which was a 3 min drive. 3 hours later we made it to the hospital. Lets just say.....We know where the Wendy's is, and that if you think you are just going to drive down this road so you can turn around you will end up driving for 15 miles and still not find a turn around. But we did find out that two school buses and a Toyota truck can all fit around a 70 degree bend in the road at a 50 degree slope and have only about 10 yards of room.
The whole purpose in going back was just to see if we could do anyting for him. 7 years laying in a bed with no PT is not a good thing. I will leave it at that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home