Thursday, July 28, 2005

Honduras Part Uno

Ok well, I did not get a chance to update while in Honduras, so I am just going to hit the highlights of the trip.

While reading this remember: This is my online journal of events in my life and my thoughts. Enter at your own risk.

First of all, I would like to share that Judy once again got stripped searched at the Nashville airport. I know it was because she is Canandian! This is Judy.

Our first day in Honduras was different than usual. As soon as we got off the plane we went to the town on Santa Ana, which the locals pronounce Santana. We got right to work moving very large cinder blocks. During this time Judy and I decided to throw out new words we had learned this year in PT school. Everyone commented on of smart we sounded!!

Santa Ana is a cool little town outside of Tegucigalpa (the captiol). There is a plot of land that IRC bought to build a medical clinic, duplexes, an orphanage and a school house. Some from our team worked there for 3 days straight digging drainage ditches and other things.

On Friday July 15th I went with a group to a hospital to play with the little kids who are sick or hurt. For those of you who know me this was a challange for me, but I got the honor of meeting a little boy of 2 yrs named Jorge. I do not speak alot of spanish so what I gathered was he had a heart problem. He was very pale but he was CUTE and I only got to stay with him for about 20 min.

After I left Jorge I went across the hallway and into a room with a little 7 yo girl. I cannot remember her name but she had the prettiest eyes. She never sat up and I never could understand what her mother was trying to tell me what she was in the hospital for.

Some of the children were at the hospital all day without their parents because the parents cannot afford not to work, and some of the children lay on beds without sheets but lay on the plastic of the mattress. I know that may seem just awful to us, but those plastic mattresses they were sleeping on might have been the first real bed they have ever sleep on.

Terry made a journal for us to keep and one of the questions that was asked was what is our biggest challange right now. Last year I did not go into the hospital and this year I went away feeling numb. My heart hurt for the kids but I did not let myself be affected or my heart broken. This is was my answer for that question after a few days of thinking and searching--I have not been allowing myself to feel emotions.

Ok my fingers are tired. Tune in again for the next installment of Honduras 2005--Anna style!

PS-- sorry if pics are in the wrong places or not even on the page, I am still learning this blog stuff.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home